Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Twist Of Noir 201 - Jimmy Callaway

ONE HUNDRED - JIMMY CALLAWAY

“One hundred dollars.”

He blinks. “For a beating?”

“Going rate,” I say.

He sighs. “Okay. But make it good.”

I make sure he gets his money’s worth. Now, when he tells his wife he got mugged, she’ll buy it, and he can go to the titty bar again next payday with a clear conscience.

I see his wife the next day. She palms a Ben Franklin to me as we shake hands. “I wasn’t sure about this, even after I hired you last week,” she says, “But you do good work.”

I smile.

I bet I’ll see her next payday.

BIO: As usual, Jimmy Callaway lives and works in San Diego, Calif. As usual, more hilarity is available at Attention Children. Go look at his story, YOUR OWN SATURDAY NIGHT, in the latest issue of THUGLIT.

6 comments:

Chad Eagleton said...

Nice. Short and sharp. Good stuff, Calloway.

Josh Converse said...

Like this one even better.

Paul D Brazill said...

ARF! Very good punch. BTW YOUR OWN SATURDAY is brilliant.

Sheila Deeth said...

Very neat.

Joyce said...

Neat, sweet and very slick.

Jimmy Callaway said...

Thank you, all. You're the bee's knees, I tell ya.